[Mich VHF UHF Society] NE8I Call

Roger Cox rgcox2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 14:19:58 CDT 2017

According to the FCC, a club can request the call-sign of one of it's
members "IN MEMORIUM". The club must obtain a written statement from a
"spouse, child, grandchild, stepchild, parent, grandparent, stepparent,
brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or
in-law of the deceased confirming the deceased person's association with
the club and showing consent of the relative to your request."

Also, the deceased person's call-sign license status must show "expired"
or "cancelled" on the FCC database. We would have up to 2 years to
obtain the written consent and apply for the call-sign after the call is
"expired" or "cancelled".  After this 2 year grace period, the call is
up for grabs by anyone who may be eligible to obtain an Extra Class call
sign.

Tom and Dave and I are discussing whether this is something that the
club should try to do. However, it may be moot if we cannot find a
qualifying relative to give consent.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_3&id=amateur&page=7

73 Roger W8IO
trustee of AD8U

On 4/14/2017 7:27 PM, jeffrey.wheelersr at gmail.com wrote:
> Lloyd’s NE8I call expires 04-08-2018 unless the FCC terminates it
> early because they have been notified of his death. I’m not sure how
> or if that would really happen. I think there is a grace period to
> allow any family members to apply for his call, if they chose to and
> if they are an Extra class licensee.  I believe Lloyds closest family
> members were cousins, not sure if any are Amateurs. Before we get too
> ahead of ourselves, I think we as a Club need to decide if this is the
> coarse we want to take and seek guidance from Roger and the other Club
> officers as to whether or not the Club leadership is in favor of
> pursuing NE8I and abandoning the existing club call.  I do know it
> didn’t seem to take much time before Mark’s K8MD call was scooped up
> after his unexpected death on May 8, 2013.  I have a pretty good idea
> Jack, K8JA and I know the right guy to reach out to Lloyd’s cousins
> and see if there is any interest on their part to obtain NE8I.
> Jeff W7JW
> EN82fj

---