[Mich VHF UHF Society] Vhf + beacon modes?

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 29 16:47:07 CDT 2017

Per the statement:
> Lloyd's goal was to get the signal out as far and to as many as possible.

I hope "to as many as possible" includes helping people get on the band to hear the beacon in the first place. :)

I don't want to necessarily hop on the scope-creepbandwagon but I have seen some articles/sites on next-gen beacons... though I've not seen any from the US (FCC/ARRL rules) specifically.  Something I've contemplated is that one might use a pre-recorded JT9 message on say even minutes as a replacement "key down" phase, and then put a CW message on odd minutes.  Additionally JT9 is sinusoidal, constant-amplitude, and phase-continuous, so I believe it can be amplified by cheaper/cooler-running nonlinear amplifiers.  Being only 16Hz wide, it should not be a nuisance to other beacons or CW stations, and I believe it shares JT65's abilities to decode signals much quieter than CW.  It would add the need for decent time sync, but GPS and WWVB are easy enough to decode, these days.

By the way, APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) can send many attributes besides position, including frequency, station capabilities, telemetry, and text messages... but even so, position is quite useful: Consider roving with APRS (or even being at home) and discovering that, hey, that beacon I faintly hear (or never noticed) is at 207 degrees azimuth, 30 miles away, at frequency X.  I'm not sure of the value of using a beacon itself to send such a string as the point of APRS is to reach people on established frequencies such as 144.390, and AX.25 is typically sent via FM - not great for a weak signal beacon in a narrow signal band segment.

Anyway, I'll fade into the background now, but please do recommend transverter kits/schematics. :)  Assuming I get the 33cm one done in time for June, I'll be needing another project. ;)

Patrick
KB8DGC