[Mich VHF UHF Society] Greetings from the western reaches of EN82

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu May 5 01:08:38 CDT 2016

Tom,

Thanks for your note.  I enjoyed reading what you had to say and hearing
your perspective on the club.

There seem to be a number of small pockets of weak signal VHF/UHF
activity here in Michigan, each with few dedicated ops. I've been on VHF
on and off since 1989, and it sure seems like the bands are empty a lot
of the time.

I had the chance to operate 2M from K3MQH, a multi-op station on a
mountain top outside of Gettysburg, PA in the 1997 Sept VHF QSO Party.
Out there, 2M sounds like 40M :-)

Yes, I can see how having a club web site and e-mail reflector has
helped in resurrecting MIVUS.  But the web site content is a bit sparse
or old, and there is very little chatter on the reflector.  Roger can't
do it all by himself; we all need to contribute stuff for the web site
and converse on the reflector.

As you are aware, I am also involved with the Mad River Radio Club with
contesting on HF, so I'll be splitting my time between the two clubs.
But I feel a lot of loyalty to what MIVUS is trying to do, and hope to
contribute towards that.

I have been trying to recruit newcomers to the weak-signal VHF/UHF
world.  I think that one way to do that might be rovering.  I think
there are a lot of guys who have radios with HF/50/144/432 capability
that never venture above 30 MHz.  With a few simple antennas on their
car, they can make QSOs in a VHF contest and have a lot of fun if there
are people for them to work.  This is where MIVUS comes in - mentoring
people like this as to the right way to set up their stuff, then
promoting the rovering activity on the e-mail reflector.

I think the "Golden Mitten" award is a great idea.  There should be a
page on the MIVUS web site describing the award with an official list of
the 24 grids and how to apply.  If somebody would work out the details
of how to administer the award, maybe I could craft a web page.

I hope that you will be able to acquire those Larcan modules. Those
would make a great club project with some of our experienced tech guys
leading the way so other members can increase the capability of their
stations.  This is exactly the kind of thing which can build interest
and activity.

I wish that we had some sort of weekly net, maybe rotating between
different bands so members could get on an test their stations without
having to wait for a contest weekend.

Or maybe a set of beacons on the most popular VHF band, centrally
located in the state, again so that people would test their stations'
receiving capabilities without needing a contest to do so.

I am glad to hear about the "Spark in the Park".  I've already marked in
my calendar, and plan to attend.

Do you know if K8EB/b on 903.065 is still QRV?  I'm putting my 903 gear
back together and I'd like to find a beacon to listen to for proving out
my setup.

73, Dave/K8CC