[Mich VHF UHF Society] June VHF Contest disappointment

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Jun 16 00:00:06 CDT 2016

Russ,

Thanks for your comments.  That's exactly the type of practical advice
that I was hoping to get.

After I posted my note to the MIVUS reflector, I got a note from Dan,
K9EA saying that unbeknownst to him at the time of our 1296 QSO attempt,
his gear was "on the fritz" and that he worked nobody on 1296 all weekend.

I worked him without any problems on 144 thru 902, where on the latter
band I only have 10W from my barefoot DEMI transverter. K9EA had a good
signal on 902, which was why I was so surprised not to make it with him
on 1296.  But the report of his rig breakdown explains everything.

I agree with your assessment of conditions on 432.  I didn't hear (much
less work) anything much beyond one or two grids away, running 100W and
an old Cushcraft Boomer at 75'.

I hope that you'll be able to get a few more bands running for the UHF
Contest in August and the Sept VHF QSO Party :-)

73, Dave/K8CC