[Mich VHF UHF Society] Fwd: [WestMichiganHams] H.R.1301 Congressional Action

Roger Cox rgcox2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:37:00 CDT 2015

 From Larry Camp, WB8R, Section Manager

======================

March 31, 2015

Greetings to the Hams of Michigan:

HR-1301

The Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2015 -- H.R.1301 -- has been introduced
in the US House of Representatives. The measure would direct the FCC to
extend its rules relating to reasonable accommodation of Amateur Service
communications to private land use restrictions. US Rep Adam Kinzinger
(R-IL) introduced the bill on March 4 with 12 original co-sponsors from
both sides of the aisle -- seven Republicans and five Democrats.

HR 1301 would require the FCC to amend its Part 97 Amateur Service rules
to apply the three-part test of the PRB-1 federal pre-emption policy to
include homeowners' association regulations and deed restrictions, often
referred to as "covenants, conditions, and restrictions" (CC&Rs).

At present, PRB-1 only applies to state and local zoning laws and
ordinances. The FCC has been reluctant to extend the same legal
protections to include such private land-use agreements without
direction from Congress.

H.R. 1301 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Rep Greg Walden, W7EQI (R-OR), chairs that panel's Communications and
Technology Subcommittee, which will consider the measure.

Once again it is time for us as constituents to write to our
Congressperson and request that they support HR 1301 and consider
signing on as a co-sponsor on this important piece of legislation.

All of the necessary information is available on the ARRL website here:
http://www.arrl.org/hr-1301. On this webpage you will find everything
that you need in order to contact and urge your congressperson to
support HR 1301 and to sign on as a cosponsor. You will find a spot to
determine who your Congressperson is and from there you can get the
necessary information to complete the sample letter that is provided for
you.

Once again, we are asking you to send your letters (snail mail or email)
to the ARRL for hand delivery to House members. This is important as a
stack of letters from constituents carry a large impact.

The instructions are there if you choose print your prepared letter,
sign it and snail mail to ARRL. If you choose to convert your signed
letter to a PDF and email it to ARRL, you can save the cost of postage
and envelope. The snail mail and email address for each method is on the
website.

One tip for you: review the list of Congress persons who have already
signed on before asking him or her for support. Your letter writing may
turn to a thank you letter if your representative has already agreed to
become a co- sponsor.

This is the case in the 1st and 7th Michigan Districts as Congressmen
Benishek and Walberg are co-sponsors. For those who live in the 1st and
7th district, please take a few minutes to send them your thanks for
supporting HR 1301. You can easily thank them by going directly to their
individual websites and emailing your thanks.

Asking for support is important, but it is just as important to thank
them for their support if they become co-sponsors.

As you know, Michigan has just become the 31st state to pass a PRB-1
law, and HR 1301 is the next logical step in the process. If we are
successful in convincing the FCC to give us parity, then we will go back
to the Michigan Legislature to update our PRB-1 law.I ask that each of
you who sends a letter requesting support of HR-1301 to send me a short
email advising me that you have sent a letter to your Congressperson.

By doing so, you will help us to determine our effectiveness and
coverage of our grassroots effort here in Michigan.

You can reach me at wb8r at arrl.org.

Thank you for doing your part in this important effort. Please pass this
information to your local clubs and to your friends and family, hams and
non-hams alike.

Larry, WB8R

__._,_.___
Posted by: Hank Greeb <n8xx at arrl.org>
	• 	Reply to sender
<mailto:n8xx at arrl.org?subject=Re%3A%20H%2ER%2E1301%20Congressional%20Action>
	• 	Reply to group
<mailto:WestMichiganHams at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20H%2ER%2E1301%20Congressional%20Action>
	• 	Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WestMichiganHams/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcTc5cmdtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTc3MzYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0MjgxNTg1NTQ->
	• 	Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WestMichiganHams/conversations/topics/7751;_ylc=X3oDMTM1azZhZzBpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTc3MzYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM3NzUxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQyODE1ODU1NAR0cGNJZAM3NzUx>
(1)

Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WestMichiganHams/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYmNtcGFxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTc3MzYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0MjgxNTg1NTQ->

Yahoo! Groups