[Mich VHF UHF Society] 28 VDC Type N coax relay for sale

Roger Cox rgcox2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 19:55:37 CDT 2014

Dan,

I saw this one on eBay and it looked like the kind I wanted - similar to
the Dow Key Microwave 402-series.  However, they didn't post many
details about it - just that it was 28VDC coil, Type N connectors, SPDT
with the RelComm part number.  I couldn't find any data sheet during a
web search, so I took a chance.  I was hoping that it was the failsafe
type, where when power is removed, it switches to the NC port.  It
turned out to be a latching type, where it stays connected to one port
until it is switched to the other one.  Also, the 402-style relay is
normally rated for about 1000 watts or more at 144 MHz, but this one is
only rated for 100 watts - not enough for my 350 watt amp.

I  have found that 12VDC coil relays are more difficult to find than 28
VDC coil models, but I have found 3 12VDC relays and 3 28VDC relays so
far (2 are still being shipped from the Philippines and another from
Israel).  My preamp system will be similar to this one in the top
diagram: http://k6vhf.com/how-to-connect-a-lna-correctly/  I plan to add
another low power DPDT RF relay (Axiom) to the input and output of the
preamp to switch the ports to 50 ohm loads during transmit. The
enclosure will likely be a Hammond 1590FFL from DigiKey ($23).

BTW, I also found 5 NEW (sealed in plastic) Dow Key Microwave 402-series
Type N rated for 1.5 KW on eBay, but I wasn't fast enough and someone
else got them for $34 each! If you look on eBay, search for Ducommun,
Dynatech, Dow Key, Transco, Relcomm relays.

73 Roger W8IO