[Mich VHF UHF Society] Fwd: Michigan PRB-1 Effort - What it is, where it stands, and what, it is NOT!!

Roger Cox rgcox2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:33:59 CST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Michigan PRB-1 Effort - What it is, where it stands, and what,
it is NOT!!
Date: 	Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:19:12 -0500
From: 	Chip Locke <WB8ALW at ARRL.Net>
To: 	Chip Locke <WB8ALW at ARRL.Net>

Please pass the following information along through your club email
lists and discuss on the air. We are approaching the end of a tremendous
effort by a dedicated group of people supported, of course, by input and
communications by all of you. Please encourage everyone to educate
themselves about the Michigan PRB-1 effort and what it does, as well as
does NOT accomplish. The information is all available here:
http://www.miarrlprb1.org/

(I apologize for any duplicate messages as I am using several mailing
lists to ensure maximum coverage!!)

Thank you all for your continued support...

--
Chip Locke

Hollis B. Locke II, WB8ALW
Michigan ARRL Section
Affiliated Club Coordinator
(H) 269.216.9999
(C) 269.998.8122
WB8ALW at ARRL.Net

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To the Hams of Michigan:

As most of you probably know by now, SB0493 (PRB-1) has successfully
been passed by both the Michigan Senate and House and is now headed to
the desk of Governor Snyder for his signature. Good news travels fast.

I am hearing rumbles of some misinformation that is being propagated via
ham chatter that is not accurate and in some cases is misleading.

SB 0493 is not a law until it is signed by the Governor. That has not
yet happened, so everything is pending until it is.

We, as a group, have some things that we need to understand about what
this bill is and what it is not.

SB0493 simply puts the existing PRB-1 federal regulation into Michigan
Law. It does not grant anyone or any group any “super powers” to do
whatever they want when putting up a tower or applying for a permit to
erect a tower.

The entire purpose of the Michigan PRB-1 legislation is to put the
federal regulation into state law, thus making it easier for local
governments to locate and be aware of federal regulations when faced
with a request by an amateur to erect a tower and/or antenna.

This bill also creates an advisory committee to help local units of
government and other entities navigate the waters of tower and antenna
regulation in our communities. This committee is intended to be an
informational source only with no decision making authority.

We as amateur radio operators need to act courteously and professionally
in order to be seen as such by our served agencies and to not propagate
misleading information. Please don’t forget all the work that has been
done to get us where we are today. Please do not jeopardize the progress
that has been made through thoughtless comments on the air or in public.

Remember, SB0493 is NOT YET a law and is not in effect until the
Governor signs it. Please keep this in mind when discussing the PRB-1
topic and also be aware of the purpose of the bill.

More information will be released in the near future so we request that
you monitor your email for additional communications.

Thank you for your attention.

73,

Larry, WB8R
Michigan Section Manager

ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio™
(H) 517.278.0406
(C) 517.617.4883
wb8r at arrl.org