[Mich VHF UHF Society] 2m DXCC

n12614 at aol.com n12614 at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 15:18:10 CDT 2017

 I used to write an occasional article for the SWOT newsletter about VHF things, obviously mostly about 2m.

The below was written a couple of months ago but may be of interest here.

It's not restricted nor do I have any problems with someone using it as part of something else.  However, if you do use it please credit MIVUS and post a copy if you add to it so that its available as a resource for all of us.

TNX ES 73

Don, NL7CO

- - -

2m DXCC

An article of faith to most of us is that compared to HF,most VHF awards are much harder to get.  Itseems simple enough considering how many HF folks there are versus those of uswho play on high, but is there any way to actually prove this?

One way to do this is to look at common awards given out bythe American Radio Relay League (ARRL). There is not yet an HF award that directly corresponds to the VHF/UHFCentury Club (VUCC) but there are several awards that have both an HF and a VHFflavor.  The “big three” of these are theDX Century Club (DXCC), Worked All States (WAS), and the Worked All Continents(WAC).  Unfortunately, the verypopularity of these awards make the WAS and the WAC hard to track.  There are simply too many of them to keep anaccurate account.

But the DXCC Award is the ARRL’s premier award and it isrelatively easy to track.  The DXCCconcept is simple, confirm a two-way radio contact with 100 separate “countries”and you can get the award.  I highlighted“countries” because the ARRL has different definitions than the Unite Nations(UN) of what constitutes a country.   I’m not going to get into what makes a countrya country for DXCC purposes, you can check out the rules for getting your DXCCat http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules.  Currently, there are 339 total countries recognized by the ARRL for DXCCpurposes as opposed to the 241 recognized by the UN.  There is even a DXCC Honor Role.  Toqualify, you must have a total confirmed entity count that places you among thenumerical top ten DXCC entities total on the current DXCC List (example: ifthere are 339 current DXCC entities, you must have at least 330 entitiesconfirmed). Deleted entities do not count towards the DXCC Honor Roll.

As of 25 Jan 17,26,619 hams have earned a DXCC Award in the mixed category which is normallythe first of the 19 separate DXCC awards that an individual earns.  For the 2m DXCC Award, 133 have been awardedwith a high percentage of them being European which makes sense when they haveso many small countries in an area smaller than the continental US.  There are 2,150 hams who are sitting at thetop of the Mixed DXCC Award who have confirmed all 339 entities.  In other words, you are 16 times as likely tohave “worked them all” on HF as you are to have confirmed the basic 100 on 2m.  By comparison, there are almost 10 times thenumber of 6m DXCC Awards at 1,194.

So it does appearthat the 2m DXCC Award is the hardest one to earn.  I’ve got 3 confirmed, only 97 more togo!  How far along are you?

Don Ross, NL7CO

 - - -