[Mich VHF UHF Society] my rover site list

James French w8iss1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 09:26:03 CST 2015

Let me know if this is what is wanted. I formatted it in a way that can be
easily adapted
for a text list and goes like this:
=====
Name
Main Grid
Entrance Fee (if any)
Cost (if any)
Coordinates
Workable bands and usable path directions
Usable grids for site location
Driving directions
Notes
=====

The 'Workable Bands' section can be expanded to express each band if wanted.
Currently it just lists 'VHF, UHF, and 1.2GHz +'.

James W8ISS
=====

Sterling State Park
EN81

Entrance fee:   YES
Cost:           State license tag fee
                $7 for out-of-state

Coordinates:
Longitude:      -083.33466W (-083° 20'  5"W)
Latitude:         41.91043N (  41° 54' 38"N)
Grid locator:   EN81hv

Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       YES

Usable grids:   EN81hv
                EN81hw
                EN81iv
                EN81iw

Driving Directions:
I-75 to N. Dixie Highway (Monroe exit). Head East to State Park Rd. Careful
as you come upon the entrance as it is easy to pass up if your not familiar
with the entrance. Entrance on right. Pay booth is about a mile from Dixie
Highway. Follow road past first turn (boat ramps on left side). Go to second
left turn and park as close to the beach as permissible. The state rangers
here are friendly and know about the VHF and above activities.

Notes:
For 10Ghz, good for East and South targets, Other directions are tree lined
but WW8M can be worked most of the time. 1.2Ghz and below, good site if you
don't mind the occasional typical " What are you tracking?" question. This
is
based on going to the middle parking area before the camp grounds.

If you walk about 350 feet do East, you can be in En81iv. Park in the first
parking lot as you enter the park, you can be in EN81hw and if you move to
the most Eastern end of the fishing dock parking lot, you would can be in
EN81iw
=====
Allen Park
EN82

Entrance fee:   None

Coordinates:
Longitude:      -083.20815W (-083° 12' 29"W)
Latitude:         41.91043N (  42° 16' 47"N)
Grid locator:   EN82jg

Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       South and West only

Usable Grids:   EN82jg

Every thing up to at least 1.2GHz should be workable to the South and West.
Haven't tried above 70cm at this site. North and East, you have the shopping
complex to deal with, so at least 1.2GHz and below should be workable with a
good set up.

Driving directions:
I-94 to Southfield Expressway. North to Outer Drive and take the exit to
turn
right. Go to second light (Fairlane Dr.) and go up the hill. As you crest,
there is a utility building on the left side that has space for about five
vehicles. Local PD and security will drive by and ask about what you are
doing. Be friendly and you'll have no issues. This is also the local spot
for
the astronomers to do any viewing down to the Western horizon without
obstacles.
=====
Michigan's "Lost Peninsula"
EN81

Entrance fee:   None
Cost:           None

Coordinates:
Longitude:      -083.4629W (-083° 27' 46"W)
Latitude:        41.91043N (  42° 43' 59"N)
Grid locator:   EN81gr

Usable Grids:   EN81gr

Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       East only

This spot is a parking lot across from restaurant. On Edgewater Dr. just as
you cross back into Michigan from Ohio. The ONLY way to get to this location
is exiting Michigan into Ohio and then back into Michigan. Last time I was
there, no fees or issues.

Driving Directions:
Utilize maps as it depends on where you are coming from.
=====
I-94 Chelsea rest stop
EN72/EN82

Entrance fee:   None
Cost:           None

Coordinates:
Longitude:      -083.99983W (-083° 59' 259"W)
Latitude:         42.29353N (  42° 17'  37"N)
Grid locator:   EN72xh/EN82ah

Usable Grids:   EN72xh
                EN82ah
Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       YES

Driving directions: Head East on I-94 from M52. The entrance ramp is just
past the Freer Rd. overpass.
Only accessible form the East bound side of I-94.
=====
Lake Erie Metro Park
EN82

Entrance fee:   YES
Cost:           $7/daily
                $30/annual pass

Coordinates:
EN82ja:
Longitude:      -083.19921 W (-083° 11' 57"W)
Latitude:         42.03846 N (  42°  2' 18"N)

Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       SouthEast to West
++++
EN82jb:
Longitude:      -083.21075 W (-083° 12' 39"W)
Latitude:         42.07061 N (  42°  4' 14"N)

Workable bands:
VHF:            YES
UHF:            YES
1.2GHz +:       East to Southwest
++++
Usable Grids:   EN82ja
                EN82jb

Driving directions:
EN82ja site:
I-75 to Huron River Dr. NORTH (exit 27). East to W. Jefferson Ave then South
to Campau Dr then East. Campau Dr. changes names to Point Mouille Rd. Follow
this to the boat ramp area. You'll be on Michigan DNR property, so you may
need to have a state permit. Currently I have both annual permits :)
++++
EN82jb entrance:
I-75 to Huron River Dr. NORTH (exit 27). East to W. Jefferson Ave. North to
park entrance. There are a number of spots to use for VHF/UHF to 1.2GHz. If
you utilize the Cove Point picnic area, this is good to 10GHz East and
South-
east. There is also the Lee Rd. entrance for the marina that has a scenic
lookout that could be utilized to better advantage for 10GHz + activity.