[Mich VHF UHF Society] Vhf + beacon modes?

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 19:12:26 CDT 2017

>From: Richards <jrichards at k8jhr.com>
>
>A QUESTION -  What do the rules on station ID provide with regard to
>identifying the station in modes other than CW ... ?

Per 97.119 ("Station Identification"):
b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:
(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;
(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;
(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;
(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome [...]

A "RTTY emission" is defined per 91.7 as: Narrow-band direct-printing telegraphy emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1 as the second symbol; B as the third symbol; and emission J2B. Only a digital code of a type specifically authorized in this part may be transmitted.

Which digital codes are specifically authorized?  Per 97.309(a)(4):
An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented
publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

For legal purposes, you could therefore use common FSK/PSK formats like JT4G, JT65, BPSK31, or whatever "to identify," assuming a portion of the message was in that same format.

Legalese aside, though, I think it would be a bit of a faux pas to not ID a beacon with CW at least once in a while.

Usual disclaimers about not being a lawyer apply. :)

Patrick
KB8DGC