[Mich VHF UHF Society] Vhf + beacon modes?

James French w8iss1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:25:37 CDT 2017

Hello everyone.

With the passing of Lloyd, NE8I, recently and then the talk of
memorializing his call on michigan vhf + beacon, got me rethinking an idea
that Lloyd had for beacons.

The way "i" understand part 97 is that cw is the only legal mode that could
be used. Am "I" interpreting that section correctly?

Lloyd and I over the past few years had been thinking of how these beacons
could get farther reach. His suggestion was to also have other modes that
rotated across a time frame that would include psk, a few of the wsjt
modes, and maybe even a sstv image and a APRS string.

Would that be legal to do plus how could it be implemented if so? Lloyd's
goal was to get the signal out as far and to as many as possible.

James W8ISS