[Mich VHF UHF Society] NE8I SK

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Apr 8 20:04:01 CDT 2017

All,

This indeed a sad day in the Michigan VHF+ community, with the news of
Lloyd's passing.

I've known Lloyd for a bunch of years.  He was one of the smartest and
most enthusiastic VHF+ (and particularly, microwave) experimenters I've
ever known, and as Brandon shared, was always willing to help people
push upwards in frequency.  If you've ever seen the NE8I/R rover pickup,
you know Lloyd never did things half way.  His serialized QSL cards
featuring pretty girls in bikinis in his ham shack or rover were fun to
collect, and he was always willing to support just about any sort of
VHF+ activities.

One year, for the September VHF contest, Lloyd was twisting my arm to
get on 2.3 GHz.  The week before the contest, he showed up at my QTH
with a 2.3 GHz looper from his stockpile of stuff and a 2.3 GHz portable
station in a box (FT-290R, xvtr and small amp) borrowed from Don, WW8M.
In the contest, he and Don were the only two guys I worked on the band,
but those QSOs were the highlight of the contest for me.  And of course,
I still have a serialized NE8I QSL for our QSO :-)

I'm gonna miss Lloyd.  RIP OM...

73, Dave/K8CC