[Mich VHF UHF Society] Fwd: [VHF] New 8 port RF switch board by N8UR/TAPR

Roger Cox rgcox2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:02:13 CDT 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------

John Ackermann has created an 8-port RF Switching Board that will be
very useful for switching transverters and many other tasks in the shack
of a VHF/UHF/Microwave operator and experimenter.

I have attached below a posting that he made to the openHPSDR list
announcing this.

There is an excellent introductory video which he has placed on YouTube
at the URL he gives below, which I would rate as a "must see".
There is further information available on the TAPR webpage whose URL is
given below.

There is additional information available in the assembly and operation
manual available at:
http://tapr.org/~n8ur/TASS/TASS_Manual.pdf

I waited to post this until I had placed my order[s], so that I could be
sure that some units would be available for me

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

Here is the prior posting from John N8UR:

A bit of shameless self-promotion, but hopefully of interest to the
HPSDR community.

I've spent the last several months developing a computer-controlled
relay switch system.  Some surplus switches I used in my time and
frequency lab started failing and I decided to design a more modern
replacement.

I ended up with an 8 port switch board controlled by an Arduino.  I
think it will have applications for hams as well as time-nuts.  Like
virtually everything I do, it ended up as a TAPR kit.

There's an introductory video at
https://youtu.be/P-TUM2dOi4c

The relay board kit is $119 and we have a shield for the Arduino Mega
2560 that can control 4 relay boards and costs $19.  The software is
open source.The boards are now available from TAPR at
http://tapr.org/kits_tass.html

(BTW, I contribute my designs to TAPR and don't have any financial
interest in sales.)

Here's the TAPR product announcement:

====
Now Available: The TASS Computer-Controlled Switch System

The TASS (Totally Awesome Switch System) is a general purpose 8 port
DC-150 MHz relay-based switch. The hardware is designed to be very
generic, with an inexpensive processor such as an Arduino providing the
system logic. Control is via USB, with ethernet and other interfaces
also available.

The TASS can be configured several ways, and multiple boards can be
combined to create large switching systems. The TASS has many uses, from
switching signal sources on a test bench or in a laboratory, to
selecting receive antennas and filters in a ham or SWL station.

The TASS system has two boards:

*  The TASS-R relay board, which does the mechanics of signal switching
and provides a very simple 10-pin interface.

*  The TASS-SHIELD board for use with an Arduino Mega 2560
microcontroller. The TASS-SHIELD allows up to four TASS-R boards to be
controlled simultaneously.

Both boards are available now from TAPR as kits.  They use through-hole
parts and don't require any special assembly techniques.

The final component is open source software for the Arduino that acts as
an interface between a host computer or other input system, and the
switching hardware.  The software is available for download from TAPR.

An introductory video is available at
https://youtu.be/P-TUM2dOi4c

or from TAPR at

http://tapr.org/~n8ur/TASS/TASS_Intro_26Sep15.mp4

Software and documentation can be downloaded from
http://tapr.org/~n8ur/TASS

You may order the TASS-R and TASS-SHIELD boards by visiting
http://tapr.org/kits_tass.html